Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc-2013] Boost.Expected
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-02 10:05:06

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Pierre T. <ptalbot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> An expected is just a optional which have an error status when disengage.
> If expected is standardized in the future, it would be best to keep the
> same behaviour with the implicit/explicit cast as optional. Otherwise, I'm
> pretty sure it would lead to frustrating error from users using both.
>
> Pierre T.

Yes, I agree it should be the same. Just note that optional isn't actually
standardized yet and there will still be some changes before it is.

Also, I think expected<> helps clarify optional's interface, as it applies
the interface to additional coding patterns - so it can help with some of
the changes that will happen to optional between now and the final C++14.

Tony