Subject: Re: [boost] Default x86 instruction set
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-08 02:31:31

So it seems, noone's arguing to keep the current default and it is clearly
not appropriate. Ok, we just have to choose a better default then. Here's
what I suggest:

1. Change the default to i686.
2. Add a notice to the release notes for the release that contains this
change. The notice will state what changed and how the default can be
changed (by adding instruction-set=xxx to bjam command line).
3. Drop support for 80386, so i486 is the minimum for the whole Boost,
unless a specific library has its own requirements. This is already de
facto true at least for Boost.Atomic and Boost.SmartPtr, as well as those
libraries which uses them or boost::detail::atomic_count.

I'm not insisting on #3, although it seems to be a logical conclusion of
the discussion. If noone objects I can do the change and provide the text
for release notes.

PS: Sorry if I'm rushing things. I just want this change to make it into
1.54, and this will make life a little easier for Boost.Log, which I also
want to push for this release.