Subject: Re: [boost] Git Modularization Ready for Review
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-08 10:02:29

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Mon May 06 2013, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:

>> One more precise question: Are we still planning to map trunk->develop
>> and branches/release->master?
>
> Presently, as you can see, the mapping is trunk->master and
> branches/release->release. It could be easily changed, and I think that
> might be a very good idea because otherwise we have to do a bulk branch
> rename, which could cause havoc with developers.

Strongly agree.

We had previously agree to follow the Git Flow conventions, and so map
trunk -> develop and branches/release -> master. It doesn't matter
that the current mapping can be easily changed - the conversion isn't
ready for prime time until that is done.

OTOH, I'm not so worried about having some extra branches. It seems
reasonable to ask developers to clean out unwanted branches. If you
can clean out the empty ones, fine. Likewise for branches that have
seen no activity for years. But I wouldn't want to delay the
conversion waiting for such niceties.

--Beman