Subject: Re: [boost] The file boost/detail/endian.hpp needs to be set up for your CPU type
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-09 12:51:04

> > How does one write a proposal to the C++ committee?
>
> http://isocpp.org/std/submit-a-proposal
>
> > I'll do it. This is a
> > problem that probably comes up a lot, people then figure out some
> > clumsy workaround and then forget about it. These workarounds are
> > just that, and they impact the bottom line as programmers try and
> > figure out some way of figuring them out.
> >
> > This should be standard. No workaround required.
>
> Jonathan hit the nail on the head.The C++ standard is essentially an open
source
> software project staffed entirely by volunteers. There is no such thing as
> something that "should be standard" - there are only things that someone
has
> written a proposal for, and then gone to the trouble of shepherding
through the
> standardization process.

Also, allocate a minimum of at least one year to achieve a successful
shepherding, and that's for an obvious, uncontroversial change. ISO
standards has large barriers to entry and for good reason: only those with
stamina and the ability to repeatedly rewrite proposals to correctly include
feedback will succeed.

I'm not saying don't do it, because if there's a problem it should be fixed.
I am saying that most of the work in writing a proposal isn't in writing and
submitting one as that part is straighforward, it's in the shepherding part
as Beman points out.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
BlackBerry Inc.