Subject: Re: [boost] [any][quickbook] Recent compile failure gcc vs. clang..
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-11 16:39:29

On 11 May 2013 21:18, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> > But regardless, I'm not sure how well gcc 4.2 will be supported in the
>> > future. It's a pretty old compiler.
>>

> IIRC.. Isn't it still one of the compilers we consider as a release
> requirement?

Sorry, I meant specifically supported by quickbook, which isn't held
to the same requirements as libraries. It doesn't have any official
requirements, but practically, it needs to be possible to build it on
all current development platforms. Clang support should be enough for
OS X. The documentation build is actually done on a broken macbook (I
can still ssh in), which is stuck on Leopard, but I build using
macports gcc.

But regardless, there's no specific version of any compiler which is a
release requirement. Libraries are required to be portable to at least
two popular operating systems (effectively windows and things that
resemble unix). GCC 4.2 used to be required for OS X, but clang
support is probably enough nowadays. Although, a library such as
Boost.Any effectively has stricter requirements since other libraries
rely on it. And in this case, there was also a problem with later
compilers in C++98 mode.