Subject: Re: [boost] Embedding manifest into the regression tests (was: [testers] [log] Problems with tests)
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-13 15:22:09

On Monday 13 May 2013 20:39:21 Daniela Engert wrote:
> Am 13.05.2013 19:50, schrieb Andrey Semashev:
> > On Monday 13 May 2013 16:06:01 Sergey Cheban wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> The bjam scripts embed the manifest into the executable if it was
> >> generated by the linker. And the linker generates the manifest by
> >> default if the /manifestdependency option was specified.
> >>
> >> May be, it is reasonable to add the "/MANIFEST" to the linker options
> >> explicitly.
> >
> > I know little about Windows manifests, but if I'm not mistaken,
> > /manifestdependency describes the dependency to be put in the manifest and
> > /MANIFEST only tells the linker to generate the .manifest file. If MSVC 10
> > and 11 removed their /manifestdependency then what should be put into the
> > manifest?
>
> Is this really about dependency? In Visual Studio, MSBuild is configured
> to insert this into .exe link options by default:
>
> /MANIFEST /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /manifest:embed

>From MSDN ([1], [2]) this seems to be the default, if manifest is generated.

I'm not sure what is the problem with manifests as it seems it should be
generated by default. So either it is not generated when there are no
/manifestdependency entries or I'm missing something. I hope someone with more
experience can comment on this.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f2c0w594.aspx
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384691.aspx