Subject: Re: [boost] [githelp] modular boost instructions?
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-19 13:02:14

On Sun, 2013-05-19 at 08:26 -0400, Nasos Iliopoulos wrote:
> It seems that .gitmodules is being pushed regularly by individual's
> rather than retaining a common one.

The git commits are generated by the Boost2git conversion script and
they are actually misleading on this point as the .gitmodules filr is
generated by the scrippts and not in the personal commits in svn.

> A few days ago .gitmodules was overwritten to include only boost.math,
> now it references only boost.log.
>
> Look at those commits for example:
> (older to newer)
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/commit/ec263acde5756da86a6036b36eabc8dbe5720d22
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/commit/1862b15a2b24f81a497c7d5fd198529159812c34#.gitmodules
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/commit/57867018811951232b896c2808f3b1710c101fce#.gitmodules

I think all this is caused by a bug in the Boost2git conversion script
for incremental conversion.

https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/issues/21

since the git repositories are slaves of svn until the switch, I think
this must be fixed as suggested in the bug report and then do a full
conversion to fix the affected part of git history.

> If this doesn't stop and build doesn't change it directory structure it
> won't work but only by manually moving things around.

Agree - why can't the needed parts of tools/build be as in converted git
repository until the switch is complete. To move the files afterwards
in step lock with the required bootstrap.(sh|bat) and boost-build.jam is
trivial. Alternatively more tricky scripting could be used to detect
and support both environments for bootstrap and ./b2.

--
Bjørn