Subject: Re: [boost] Git Modularization Review no vote heads-up
From: Jürgen Hunold (jhunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-22 03:56:26

Hi Dave,

On Tuesday, 21. May 2013 22:30:10 Dave Abrahams wrote:
> on Tue May 21 2013, Vladimir Prus <ghost-AT-cs.msu.su> wrote:
> > On 21.05.2013 01:21, Bjørn Roald wrote:
> > To be honest, I don't trust git move (or lack thereof)
>
> Well, there's nothing really we can do about that lack of trust. It's a
> simple matter to move files in Git.

It this is the only rationale, then let us please abort the idea of history
rewriting and start making things right after the conversion. git "move" just
works fine, even with git svn ;-) And please remember that svn still has no
atomic "mv", but just "rm/add" combination which is quite error prone,
especially with svn merge. Been there, still doing that.

> > and not really looking forward to spending an evening with company of
> > 'git filter-branch'.
>
> Why do you want to revise history?
>
> > If an infrastructure for svn to git conversion is already developed,
> > why not create the layout that is right?
>
> How do you define "right?"

In this case reducing directory depth and removing artefacts from v1 -> v2
transition, I presume.

But this can easily be done after the conversion.

I think we already lost too much time with failed rewrite attempts, so let us
get a working repository first. Then Volodya can test git mv v2/* . and report
results. Afterwards, we can always try rewriting in a separate clone.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  !
* voice: ++49 4257 300       ! Fährstraße 1