Subject: Re: [boost] Git Modularization hiccups
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-24 02:17:49

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:00:19PM -0700, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> on Thu May 23 2013, Lars Viklund <zao-AT-acc.umu.se> wrote:

> >> Oh well, the way line endings are handled in Git and SVN are divergent.
> >> Check your .gitconfig against the output of git --help config;
> >> especially core.eol, core.safecrlf, and core.autocrlf
> >
> > Shouldn't the repositories contain a .gitattributes file indicating the
> > eol flavor to be used for text files where it has significance?
>
> Perhaps! I don't know anything about .gitattributes. Where can I find
> out more?

A decent introduction can be found in the Github help pages [1] and in
this blog post [2].

You would essentially have entries like:
*.sh text eol=lf

I'm not quite sure how it all fits together with the config flags, but
as I understand it, it's one of the major puzzle pieces in getting a
behaviour similiar to the one enforced by our Subversion.

Some testing would probably be required to see how the final solution
turns out on different clients on the platforms.

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings
[2] http://timclem.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/mind-the-end-of-your-line/

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]