Subject: Re: [boost] Algorithmic Skeletons, Parallelism Patterns & Actors
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-27 15:03:25

2013/5/27 Dominik Charousset <dominik.charousset_at_[hidden]>:
> On 27.05.2013, at 15:34, Suminda Dharmasena <sirinath_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to introduce Algorithmic Skeletons, Parallelism Patterns &
>> Actors in Boost? Any plans for this?
>>
>> Suminda
>
> I am proposing an actor implementation based on libcppa (http://libcppa.org). See the discussion under the topic "Is there any interest in a library for actor programming?": http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Is-there-any-interest-in-a-library-for-actor-programming-td4647465.html.

Looks very interesting. Bad things are library requirements (only
modern compilers) and big amount of types reimplemented from scratch
that are already part of Boost (like `cppa::option` class and
`boost::optional`)...

It would be interesting to see it integrated with Boost. Some
features, like network transparency, are great. Killer feature would
be interoperability with other programming languages. Better
integration with Boost.ASIO would be also great (I do want to have all
threads maintained by a single io_service).

I'll follow the "Is there any interest in a library for actor
programming?" discussion, library is impressive.

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin