Subject: Re: [boost] Is there any interest in a library for actor programming?
From: David Sankel (camior_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-11 19:40:15

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM, james <james_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 11/06/2013 13:03, Brandon Kohn wrote:
>
>> On 6/10/2013 4:30 PM, james wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think that the limited correctness you get from that is very
>>> useful in a concurrent system.
>>>

>> Why not? I think the development crews that worked on the mars orbiter
>> mission which failed would beg to differ.
>>

> [I]t all goes back to schema evolution, and that's why systems like
> protobuf tend to sacrifice clean syntax for extensibility..

I think that goes back to my original point. For a large subset of users,
schema evolution is a non-issue—the entire system is deployed at once. A
Boost.Actor library should have a good story for these users IMO.

As an aside, the whole concept of 'schema evolution' has really piqued my
curiosity. Is there some academic key-word I can search with to learn more
about data structure evolution in systems that need to maintain some kind
of backwards compatibility?

--David Sankel