Subject: Re: [boost] [c++11]
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-14 06:53:17

On Friday 14 June 2013 11:40:35 Phil Richards wrote:

> Would it be possible to maintain a "boost1-mainline" (old c++, optional
> c++11) and "boost2-mainline" (c++11, optional old c++) for each of the
> sub-modules?

As a library maintainer, I wouldn't like doubling the maintenance effort and
forking the code into boost 1.x and 2.x. That, of course, implies that I want
to support C++03 compilers in my library (which I do, at least for a few years
from now).

IMHO, it would be much better to just state clearly the level of compatibility
for each library in the docs and the library list [1], so that this
information is immediately apperent to users. Library authors may choose to
drop support for older compilers as they see fit, in newer Boost release. I
think, this will make a more natural transition to C++11.

[1] http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/release/