Subject: Re: [boost] [c++11]
From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-14 14:04:36

On 14 June 2013 18:53, Lars Viklund wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 04:21:38PM +0000, Niall Douglas wrote:
>>
>> The existing code base being prepared for entry into Boost is pure C++11, or
>> at least as much C++11 as is provided by the Nov 2012 CTP experimental MSVC
>> compiler and therefore easily supported by GCC 4.6 and clang 3.x.
>
> I hope that you do realize that the Nov12 CTP does not come with a
> go-live license, nor is recommended for any human consumption.
>
> It seems quite odd to me to spend significant GSoC resources on making a
> library that targets only two compilers,

You make it sound like C++11 is going to disappear or be a temporary fad.
Other compilers will catch up at some point.

> and assumedly a rather narrow
> set of OSes.

Is there any compiler that targets more OSes than GCC?

In fact are there any OSes supported by Boost that GCC *doesn't* target?

> Was this C++11-only requirement part of the original project plan, and
> why didn't anyone object to it then?

Expecting authors of new libraries to refrain from using features of
the current C++ standard seems a bit ridiculous to me. Not everyone
will be able to use C++11-only libraries, but why should those users
hold everyone else back?