Subject: [boost] [Multiprecision] Does MP use references internally?
From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-20 01:44:22

This may be an artifact of the compiler's error reporting mechanism, but the
errors' expansion of the MultiPrecision type I'm using has reference types
in it. Types from Boost.MP seem to be a shell class template that wraps an
engine and several options. Some of the errors that pop up when using
Boost.MP when using Boost.Test with my custom complex-number class:

- Boost.MPL calls within Boost.Test complain that it's trying to
get a pointer to a reference.

- My own code uses arrays everywhere, and I get errors about making
arrays to references. I'm not doing anything (too) advanced.

Is Boost.MP giving users references-to-types instead of class types when
requesting a numeric type? Pointers may be objects in and of themselves,
but references aren't; they're just aliases; trying to intentionally use
them as first-class objects is arguably broken.

Daryle W.