Subject: [boost] boost::thread dependency on boost::chrono (windows implementation)
From: Christian Hägele (haegele_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-27 10:42:00

Hello,

as boost::thread now depends on boost::chrono I have the following
questions:

In boost::chrono on windows the the steady_clock is implemented via
QueryPerformanceCounter. This may lead to wrong results because on some
systems QueryPerformanceCounter gives different results on different
processors.
In our software we encountered theses problems regularly on some customers
machines and thus stopped using QueryPerformanceCounter without additional
checking.
The problem I'm talking about is described as a TODO in
boost/chrono/system_clocks.hpp

My questions is if functions like boost::thread::timed_join or
boost::mutex::timed_wait may have similar problems on hardware where
QueryPerformanceCounter gives wrong result. Is there a way (like a
preprocessor macro) to have boost::thread use the old implementation
independent from boost::chrono?

Regards,

Christian