Subject: Re: [boost] Any interest in bitstream class?
From: Paul Long (plong_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-30 12:25:39

On 6/30/2013 7:50 AM, Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
> Ok, however those would only apply for C++-like types. What if we have
> some file which stores 16-bit floats or floats with different radix
> than the native one, or even in some other standard? And this is jus a
> tip of an iceberg. There is a lot of different ways to describe
> similar types to C++ native types.

Oh, okay, I understand. I think you're asking for serialization
functionality, which would be akin to wanting stringstream to handle,
say, JSON. That is an "anti-goal" of bitstream, which I list here:
https://github.com/dplong/bstream/wiki/Goals

> Should the user be forced to e.g. wrap native types and write
> overloads? Should those different formats be supported by bitstream
> somehow (e.g. by predefined wrappers)? And who should define how those
> types in stored and native format should be converted between each other?

Yes, unless you can convince me that my thinking is wrong and this
should inherently be part of a bit-streaming library.

Paul