Subject: Re: [boost] Patch bonanza for VS2013 Preview support
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-02 12:41:04

> Try it and see, I guess. I'd reckon that they will probably cause little
> harm,
> considering that there's people who have tested the Nov12 CTP in the past.

I will over the coming week: I have quite a bit of Nov12 CTP only #ifdef code,
mainly due to that fun bug where a 'catch(...)' in a template made MSVC try to
expand variadic args. I assume they'll have fixed that.

> > These are coming in the RTM:
> >
> > * Alias templates
> > * Defaulted functions (except for rvalue references v3)
> > * Deleted functions
> > * Non-static data member initializers (NSDMIs)
> > * C99 _Bool
> > * C99 compound literals
> > * C99 designated initializers
> > * C99 variable declarations
>
> Speculative definition of features of a non-existing compiler based on
> promises
> is a bit too bold, even for my taste.

If Microsoft is anything like BlackBerry, those features were committed to the
release branch weeks ago and it's now all in the testing group.

That said, I wouldn't turn them on yet either as a default, but I'd probably
block out the necessary changes for easy enabling later to save time. I would
worry, certainly, that their defaulted functions implementation is quite
incomplete as they point out, sufficiently so it's best to leave it off. The
proof will be in the pudding.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
BlackBerry Inc.