Subject: Re: [boost] Extremely large Visual Studio libboost_log_setup* binaries
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-03 15:07:07

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Andrey Semashev
<andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Also, compare apples to apples. The OP mentions the space needed to build
> Boost, not the size of the actual binaries you get.

I was referring to the actual binaries that you get, I didn't even look at
the space needed to build. The reason I noticed this is because the Windows
binaries that I publish for public consumption doubled in size with this
release.

I had already received comments that the boost binaries were too big, I'm
seriously worried that this further increase will negatively impact usage
of the entire boost library.

> The user can disable portions of the library he doesn't need by defining
> config macros. E.g. disabling wchar_t support can reduce the size by
> approximately 50%. Disabling parsers altogether will make boost_log_setup*
> practically empty.

Maybe we need to look at making these the defaults. What do you mean by
"parsers" in this context, is this a core functionality of log? Sorry if
these are dumb questions, I haven't had a good excuse to dive into the log
library yet.

Tom