Subject: Re: [boost] unique_ptr for C++03
From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-03 22:26:38

> From: helloworld922_at_[hidden]
> Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 09:00:28 +0000
>
> I implemented std::unique_ptr using C++03 features plus a few other Boost
> Libraries. Incidentally, I also implemented default_delete (which binds to
> std::default_delete if available) because it's required for unique_ptr.
>
> https://github.com/helloworld922/unique_ptr
>
> The library binds to std::unique_ptr if standard library support is
> available.
> [SNIP]
> Current dependencies (assuming no C++11 std::unique_ptr):
>
> - Boost.Config
> - Boost.Move
> - Boost.TypeTraits
>
> Comments/Feedback is welcome.

Looking at "unique_ptr/boost/default_delete.hpp" as of SHA 6d294095747525ddb3a7481e374642156f5825ec:

* If you're in an environment where the workaround for C++11 smart pointers are in play, then you probably don't have sibling-constructor (delegating) calls either.

* When pointers are used for array new-ing, then cross-version conversions probably shouldn't be done, since U IS-A T doesn't mean that array-of-U IS-A array-of-T. (The spacing won't work right if the sizes of U and T differ. Neither will deletes unless a properly set custom deleter is used.)

Daryle W.