Subject: Re: [boost] How do folks test serialization code?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-05 04:11:18

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM, Jens Weller <JensWeller_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Working in the industries for 6 years as freelancer on various projects/companies, only one pattern has kept true and keeps emerging:
> Testing isn't standard, its the exception. At least in C++ Land.
>
> Its nice to have all the testcases, but most companies don't cover their applications with tests.
> In fact, I haven't seen a single company using tests with C++ in their application in 6 years.
> Some of them do test, but not in codelevel. No unittests or anything like it.

I must say my experience is quite the contrary. Companies I worked in
(in Russia) use unit tests in one way or another, and from what I've
heard many other companies that deal with software development also
use unit tests and/or manual testing where unit tests are
impossible/unreasonable. Another question is how complete the test
coverage is but that's another question.

I would say that any company that has software development as a
considerable part of its business has to use automated tests or this
company is coming to its failure.