Subject: Re: [boost] Removing old config macro and increasing compilerrequirements.
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-05 07:53:25

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013, at 01:18 AM, Mostafa wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 09:48:11 -0700, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Do you have an opinion on the original change? The only contentious part
> >> of it seems to be dropping Visual C++ 7.0.
> >
> > Well I'm sort of sitting on the fence ;-)
> >
> > Nit pickingly yours, John.
>
> Just to clarify, the (proposed) dropped support will be for Visual C++
> 7.0
> (which corresponds to Visual C++ 2002), but support will be maintained
> for
> Visual C++ 7.1 (which corresponds to Visual C++ 2003) and above?

Yes, sort of. Visual C++ 7.0 will have a config error (which you can
avoid by using a custom configuration file). Visual C++ 7.1 won't have a
config error and we won't deliberately remove support, but support will
be patchy. Many libraries (especially new ones) don't support that
compiler, and we also don't have any formal testing for it, so if new
changes break something, it might not be noticed.