Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] How are floating point values handled?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-08 05:16:09

+1 for NaN - and for infinity

In Boost.Math it has proved very useful to properly support these two types - and they are
'Standard' in numeric_limits.

Johan Rade's facets for Facets for Floating-Point Infinities and NaNs shows that I/O for this can be
done - and is portable for all platforms that support them (all the popular ones).

Whereas the layout in 64-bit doubles of IEEE754 layout is pretty standard for X86 and ARM chips, the
output of infinity and NaN isn't - but using the above facets it can be fixed.

So I think this is should be the objective for serialization too.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK