Subject: Re: [boost] Line endings fixes
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-08 10:42:11

> > Better is to ask github to show you it raw e.g.
> > https://raw.github.com/boostorg/math/master/doc/equations/airy.svg.
> >
> > Note that github always serves everything as text/plain irrespective.
> > This is apparently for security. Nothing we can do can change that
> > behavior. In other words, you cannot use github as a content server,
> > except as plain text.
>
> ... except for github pages, which are designed for exactly this.
>
> http://pages.github.com

Yeah, I always keep forgetting about those. If there ever was a way of not
doing project page publishing, that is it.

(What they really need is to let you do all that magic subbranch hassle
server side, so basically I say I want directory X in the SCM published as
HTML and they take care of it).

Anyway, my point still stands: without magic subbranch hassle to bounce
content through github pages, I know of no way to get github to serve SCM
content as anything but text or binary blob. If you have a SVG file in the
SCM, github will serve that as text, PNGs are offered for download, not
rendered etc.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
BlackBerry Inc.