Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] Dividing into Boost.Thread and Boost.Sync
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-17 07:54:57

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Andrey Semashev
<andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> We haven't discussed Boost.Async, just Boost.Sync for now. It seems
> possible,
> although I wonder what will be left in Boost.Thread then? Basic thread
> management?

Sorry that was a typo, I meant Boost.Sync yes.
It's true that Boost.Thread would host only boost::thread and interruptions
then, so the split I was wondering about might not really helpful,
nevermind.
I was just wondering because future/promise/async are, to me,
synchronization mechanisms, but high-level compared to the ones you already
want to separate,
so I would have expected to find them with other "synchronization"
mechanisms, OR in a high-level synchronization mechanism library.
Future/promise/aysnc are all packed into <future> in the standard library
by the way, not sure if it's the best grouping but it's notable data.

It's just some thoughts so don't take my comment as suggestion or
preference, i was just wondering.
In my current code base I use almost all current Boost.Thread constructs so
the split wouldn't impact me immediately I think.

Joel Lamotte