Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] Dividing into Boost.Thread and Boost.Sync
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-17 15:26:21

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Andrey Semashev
<andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Things like async() and future.then() use
> threads to carry out actions. Even if you don't use these features, you can
> still use futures from Boost.Thread.

That being said, I have custom code that works like async and future but
take a scheduler callable (like the coming implementation)
and I use work queues (associated with a thread or an update task pushed in
a task scheduler) instead of threads or fiber.
I'm not sure to understand how future and async really requires thread
itself. to me it's only building synchronization structures between
two potentially concurrent systems, whatever the way concurrency is
achieved.
At some point there is threads running, but it still look independant
technically.

Joel Lamotte