Subject: [boost] [git] Some questions on Git transition
From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-22 01:15:32

* I see we have a GitHub account at https://github.com/boostorg, with repositories for each library. If we add a new library, and it has been Git-based, are we going to mirror it in the Boost account? That'll make sure if something happens to the original, we still have a last-known-good to work with. Would having all the libraries (or copies/mirrors) under the same account make scripts easier? What about non-Git libraries, will they be copied over? Would a bridge be used? (There's at least bridges for Git connecting to either Subversion or Mercurial.)

* We currently ship all the libraries merged together as a single archive. Some package managers even provide the Boost libraries as a single item. When we go Git, is that still going to be in place (with the release managers doing some sort of merging script), or are we and every user going to move to doing several dozen downloads instead? (And everyone has to figure out how to use more than one Boost library at once.)

* Are we eventually going to use something like http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/? If so, are we going to use that to script releases? (At release-time, grab the latest version of each library from their master branches, apply the merging script, run tests, then ship.)

Daryle W.