Subject: Re: [boost] [release] How do you make a library update official?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-23 15:45:55

Daryle Walker wrote:
> I just uploaded changes ([85417] and [85418]) to Boost.Rational that
> fix the two major problems showing up on the regression tests. How
> do I get them on the official distribution? I know we don't read off
> the SVN-trunk directly; there's some staging area first. (That's why
> the shippers occasionally declare a code freeze deadline.) I know we
> have a "release" branch, but I'm not sure that's still being used.
>
> I want to blaze ahead making tweaks to Boost.Rational, but not if you
> can't "make official" a non-HEAD change-set. Even if I miss the
> deadline for these other tweaks, I want the two I just already did to
> be in Boost 1.55.

I follow this procedure

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ImprovingPractices#Mergingchangesfromdevelopmenttrunktoreleasebranch

for those directories which correspond to the library which I personally
maintain. It's kind of a pain - but
I don't do it very often.

Note that this dovetails well with my normal practice:

a) I maintain a local copy of the boost release. I update this once in a
while
so my local copy corresponds to the NEXT expected release.

b) I switch the directories of the libraries I maintainto the trunk. In
most cases this
amounts to two directories - one from "boost" and one from "libs"

c) I run my tests on this setup. This gives me an indication of
how my tests will work when finally merged into release. In my view
testing against the whole boost trunk creates random noise when
some error is checked into the trunk.

d) when my tests pass, I commit to the trunk. From time to time
I merge trunk to release using the above procedure.

Robert Ramey