Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Some questions on Git transition
From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-24 20:09:14

> From: dave_at_[hidden]
> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:01:36 -0700
>

> on Wed Aug 21 2013, Daryle Walker <darylew-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If we add a new library, and it has been Git-based, are we going to
> > mirror it in the Boost account?
>
> Well, we'll have a repo for it under github.com/boostorg/, which will be
> where the official Boost releases are made from.
>
> > That'll make sure if something happens to the original, we still have
> > a last-known-good to work with. Would having all the libraries (or
> > copies/mirrors) under the same account make scripts easier?
>
> Yes, and we plan to do that.
>
> > What about non-Git libraries, will they be copied over?
>
> What's a non-Git library? Serious question.
>
> > Would a bridge be used? (There's at least bridges for Git connecting
> > to either Subversion or Mercurial.)
>
> Boost libraries will be officially developed under Git. People can use
> bridges or other tools to develop if they like, but Git is going to be a
> requirement for Boost libraries going forward.
For these questions, I'm talking about a prototype Boost library, kept on a Git repository, a non-Git repository (e.g. Subversion or Mercurial), or winging it on the authors' hard drives. But the first version of a new approved library will be copied over to our GitHub site as a new module without transferring any history (if it was from Git or another SCM)? Daryle W.