Subject: Re: [boost] doubts about python3 support
From: Petr Machata (pmachata_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-26 10:53:01

Neal Becker <ndbecker2_at_[hidden]> writes:

> What I'd like is to build both python2 and python3 from the same source tree,
> installing the final shared libs into the same destination dir. Right now I
> have 2 different source trees, and build switching the one line in user-
> config.jam.

In Fedora, I add the Python 3 like you do, and then additionally add
e.g. python=2.7 to the b2 command line. This then builds a
libboost_python.so vs. Python 2 and libboost_python3 vs. Python 3.

My theory is that when Python 2 to Python 3 transition is eventually
done, you still want to build libbost_python (sans 3), because lots of
apps will still use -lboost_python. But by that time it will be
desirable to have libboost_python built vs. Python 3.

Thanks,
PM