Subject: Re: [boost] [git] b2 headers not producing headers
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-01 01:09:20

On 08/31/2013 11:37 PM, Ahmed Charles wrote:
> I've tried following the instructions here: https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost
>
> The 'b2 headers' command doesn't see to actually produce a boost directory. Is this supposed to work or is it just too soon?

If you or anybody care to test it, you can apply a simple patch that is
being evaluated containing the final bits that make this work. This is
held back as we try to take care we don't break anything in the SVN
layout. We need more testing and and time for b2 core developers to
verify and validate. Any reports on success or problems are appreciated
and will help speed up the process of getting this work completed, In
particular more test in SVN layout is needed simply to verify that it
has no ill effect. Thanks.

See:
http://lists.boost.org/boost-build/2013/08/26953.php
for the attached patch.

To test on SVN layout I do the standard:
svn co http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk boost-trunk
cd boost-trunk
svn apply 201308252200-boost-trunk.patch
./bootstrap.sh
./b2
check build with no errors
cd status
../b2 -j 4
check build results consistent with with
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/summary.html
lately I have been getting
...failed updating 83 targets...
...skipped 146 targets...

To test on modularized layout
similar too: https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost
The https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost may be used.
Below is the step I use:
git clone --recursive https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git modular-boost
cd modular-boost
git apply 201308252200-boost-trunk.patch
./bootstrap.sh
./b2 headers or just ./b2
check build with no errors
cd status
../b2 -j 4
check build results consistent with with
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/summary.html

Two known issues remain in modularized layout:

1. Fix independence of status test build:
cd $BOOST_ROOT/status
b2
should work without doing
cd $BOOST_ROOT
b2 headers
first.

2. Fix independence of header install:
cd $BOOST_ROOT
b2 install
should work without doing
cd $BOOST_ROOT
b2 headers
first.

Finally I would like to make 'b2 headers' implicit. We are a bit
careful with this to ensure we do not affect SVN layout. Right now it
may seem to work, but it is not completely. So it is a good idea to use
the b2 headers step explicitly.

--
Bjørn