Subject: Re: [boost] Is there any interest in a library for application : Boost.Application, new version: Boost.Application_beta_3a_release_2
From: dib (dib_ggml_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-23 04:03:43

Hi,

I think this is very useful and am looking forward to seeing this as an
official boost lib.

There are a couple of features that come to mind when I think about using
this, which are:
- let the user set callbacks for more signals (eg. SIGHUP is often used).
Maybe you can use asio's signals here for better portability?
- integrate boost.programoptions a little more. I think about reading a
config file and maintaining some "config-state" inside application.ctrl?
Then, if I change some config values they get written back to the config
file..
- for the above feature it might be useful to introduce an
"initalisation-handler", so the user can separate the code for eg. setting
up program options and the actual program logic
- option to turn on some "general exception handling"
- _optional_ incorporation of boost.log
- offering a threadpool or sth (or even asio?) I think this was already
mentioned

I would probably have started something like this in the near future, but
not with "boost-compliant quality", so I'm quite happy about your effort :)

Do you have a development-code repository somewhere or just the archives
you linked to?
What is your roadmap for further development and/or acceptance into boost?

--
regards
dib