Subject: Re: [boost] [clang] How to use CLang for Windows?
From: Chandler Carruth (chandlerc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-29 22:59:14

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 9/29/2013 10:15 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>*
>> *wrote:
>>
>> The fix that I had made to Boost PP config.h, which I was asked to remove
>>> by Beman Dawes, explicitly detects that when _MSC_VER is defined and
>>> __clang__ is defined Boost PP should not treat the compiler as VC++. In
>>> the
>>> Boost PP config.h file prior to my fix if _MSC_VER is defined then the
>>> compiler is treated as VC++.
>>>
>>> There are other cases in the Boost header files that assume that when
>>> _MSC_VER is defined the compiler is VC++ ( see my thread "Boost and clang
>>> under Windows" ) without checking if it could be another compiler
>>> emulating
>>> VC++. I had proposed in the aforementioned thread that I was willing to
>>> work on changing such code in other Boost libraries so that it did the
>>> correct thing when both _MSC_VER and __clang__ were defined, but the
>>> reaction of not only Mr. Dawes and others was that I should not do that
>>> so
>>> I desisted.
>>>

>> Our hope is that generally speaking, you shouldn't need to special case
>> Clang -- it should be compatible. When it isn't compatible, ideally we'd
>> like to fix the bugs so that it is compatible.
>>
>> There may be a few cases where the code that Boost is using for VC++ is
>> working around (and in the process relying on) really excessive quirks or
>> bugs, and there it may be more pragmatic to just switch to more
>> standards-based code path by checking for Clang explicitly. In other
>> cases,
>> VC++ may not have access to features that it makes sense to enable by
>> detecting Clang.
>>
>> If there are questions about a specific case, feel free to reach out to
>> the
>> Clang developers with either a bug report or email, and they can likely
>> help.
>>

> There is a clang user mailing list but the clang developers never seem to
> bother with it.

=/ Some of us try, but there is a lot of email to sift through.

> Am I supposed to use the clang developers mailing list instead ? Am I
> supposed to email some developer in particular ?

I would email cfe-dev. You should get prompt responses if the subject makes
it clear that you're reporting compatibility bugs. You can also feel free
to actually file bugs at http://llvm.org/bugs if that works better.

If you need a response or something, feel free to CC me or rnk at google
dot com, and one of us can likely help. =]

-Chandler