Subject: Re: [boost] [interest] rich-typed smart pointers
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-07 04:34:39

Larry Evans wrote:

>> I have designed a smart pointer that relies on the type system to
>> offer safe and flexible automatic memory management at no runtime
>> cost. It combines single ownership as in std::unique_ptr and reliable
>> access from multiple places as in std::shared_ptr with some additional
>> features. I believe it to be about as safe and practically useful as a
>> smart pointer in C++11 could get.
> [snip]
> When the attached dangling_ptr.cpp driver is run (using the
> also attached obj_id.cpp), the output (last attachment)
> indicates the weak_ptr is accessing a dangling pointer.
> Refcounted smart pointers (such as boost::shared_ptr),
> would not allow that, IIUC.
>
> Am I missing something?

No, you are not missing anything. In this respect the rtp pointers
behave rather like std::unique_ptr with std::unique_ptr::get. Jeremy
Maitin-Shepard was right to point out that the name rtp::weak_ptr is
misleading for this reason. I will clear up the confusion and be more
explicit about the risks in the next alpha version.

Thanks again for the effort!

-Julian