Subject: [boost] Boost.Application : Request for comments : Article / Thread Pool / Other Features / Documentation
From: Renato Forti (re.tf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-07 11:43:32

Hi All, In this email I would like to discuss some areas of
Boost.Application.

01) Thread Pool functionality

One of the most recurring requests is that Boost.Application should provide
Thread Pool functionality.

A flexible Thread Pool can be a complex thing, need provide schedule
polices, grow/reduce polices, Shutdown policies, deadline s and many others,
and then I think that this feature devotes your own Boost library.

The Boost.Application can be integrated easily with one Thread Pool provided
by third parties, or the user can make one "specific" (Not flexible/Complex)
to your needs, e.g.: I make a simple work queue model using Boost.Asio and
Boost.Thread that I plug on Boost.Application, see these tutorial:

   * Creating a Work Queue (Thread Pool) Application Using Boost.Asio,
Boost.Thread and Boost.Application

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/664709/Creating-a-Work-Queue-Thread-Pool
-Application-Usin

My question is: The boost users think that Boost.Application must provide a
complex Thread Pool to be accepted?

02) Ideas (new features)

So far these are the ideas proposed to improve Boost.Application:
http://www.dokfile.com/appbeta3/docs/libs/application/doc/html/application/f
uture.html

What functionality do you think should already be included in the first
release, and not only in future versions? (Please mention here!)

If you have any other ideas, (or improvement of current list) please post
here so that I can update the "TODO" session.

03) Articles About "Boost.Application"

I published other articles about "Boost.Application" on Code Project
Website.

Code Project Tutorials

   * Create a Windows Service Application

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/662221/Create-a-Windows-Service-Applicat
ion-Using-the-Boo

04) Documentation Feedback

Also, the library documentation was updated.
If someone can take a look! Please, tell me if this is a little more
understandable.

   * On-Line Documentation

http://www.dokfile.com/appbeta3/docs/libs/application/doc/html/index.html

05) Boost.Application Resources

 [Other Boost.Application Resources]

   * Download Last Version
       https://sourceforge.net/projects/boostapp/

       Note that the latest version is (10/07/2013):
Boost.Application_beta_3a_release_5.zip (1.4 MB)

   * Please Write a Review
       https://sourceforge.net/projects/boostapp/reviews

Please send comments. (Specify if you think if the library should be
accepted as part of boost)

Thank you very much!

--
Renato