Subject: Re: [boost] boost 153 interprocess_mutex much slower in windows 7 than xp?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-07 12:24:44

On 7 Oct 2013 at 14:26, Noll, Jeffrey T UTAS wrote:

> Works great under XP, our new Windows 7 desktops it are dog slow by a
> factor of around 50. Any ideas why this would be?

Sounds like your spin count needs adjusting. Newer CPUs are much
better at doing lock xchg than older machines - hence your spin count
needs increasing on newer machines.

(As an aside, Linux's glibc very seriously needs to increase its spin
counts on its pthreads mutex as it's a serious constraint on ASIO's
maximum throughput on Linux - FreeBSD and Windows runs rings around
it. It's far too low for modern CPUs. Yes the bug report is already
submitted).

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/