Subject: Re: [boost] Looking for thoughts on a new smart pointer: shared_ptr_nonnull
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-09 18:49:28

On 9 October 2013 10:43, Rob Stewart <robertstewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> No response to this example?
>
> Why does the author of foo() know enough to test for null, but the caller of foo(), knowing that they are creating a shared_ptr_nonnull, doesn't?

I better explain this, it's easier because foo is only defined once
with the assumption that the pointer can be null because it really
doesn't know where the pointer came from. But there can be a large
number of calls, so when changing foo every call would need to be
altered. The dangerous part is when altering the code the programmer
may make assumptions because they think they know where the pointer is
coming from at the call site. Often they actually do, but sometimes
mistakes are made, and the more places the more likelihood of a
mistake. Generally speaking, such defensive programming shouldn't be
scattered all over the place.