Subject: Re: [boost] Try out a multi-dimensional adapter class template?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-10 00:20:48

Jeff Flinn wrote:
>> I'm still thinking that boost multi-array is not appreciated to the
>> extent that it should be. I would like to see it enhanced to
>> accomodate
>
> I wish this thread had come up 3-4months ago. Unlike you I couldn't
> grok the docs to use multi-array as a back end to a Qt table where I
> needed
> to support run time row/col insertion/deletion. I was under time
> constraints and found it much easier to build my own facilities. I'm
> not sure whether it was due to docs or design.

Well, I did come to understand it pretty well. But I really have to
say I spent a LOT of time poring over the documentation, experimenting
etc. The oddest thing to me is that now it seems easy to me and I
can't figure out what I spent the time on - we're talking a few days.
I had the same experience (only worse) with units library. Actually
I have this experience with almost every boost library I use. This
brings up the whole question of documentation of boost libraries
and in fact documentation of computer libraries in general. I've spent
a lot of time thinking about this lately. I feel we've been too lax in
accepting libraries after the review whose documentation isn't up
to some minimum standard (not that we have a standard).

Robert Ramey