Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in a library for object (especially STL object) marshalling?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-10 11:52:15

On 10 Oct 2013 at 13:07, Roger Sanders wrote:

> What I wanted to get an idea on is whether there is any interest in having
> something like this included as part of boost? Perhaps there's enough scope
> here for a general "marshalling" library, that would address some other
> similar concerns in the future? There would be a fair amount of work to do
> in order to "boostify" the library and write the corresponding
> documentation, but I'd be willing to do it if there was interest. Any
> feedback, thoughts, criticisms?

Me personally, I would absolutely just *love* for this library to
enter Boost.

Let me quickly explain why: I'm hoping, if possible, to eventually
implement a standard component object layer for C++. A large part of
such an implementation is STL implementation interop i.e. that across
component object boundaries where component objects use different
versions of an STL, or different STLs entirely, a limited amount of
STL container conversion is performed. My design also allows for
components compiled using one compiler e.g. Visual Studio using
Dinkumware generating a PE DLL on Windows, to be equally treated by a
Linux program compiled using GCC with libstdc++ i.e. a Linux program
can use Windows binaries, and vice versa (obviously only if no
platform specific code is used e.g. STL only).

Your library, if ported to Boost, would shave a huge chunk off the
work I'd need to do, so very much yes please.

(FYI there was a presentation at C++ Now 2013 on a topic very similar
to your library by John Bandela "Easy Binary Compatible C++
Interfaces Across Compilers". See
https://github.com/boostcon/cppnow_presentations_2013/blob/master/tue/
easy_binary_compat.pdf?raw=true. It might be worth you touching base
with him).

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/