Subject: Re: [boost] [git] creation of .gitignores
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-10 14:51:35

On 10/10/2013 06:13 PM, Jürgen Hunold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the converted repository is missing .gitignores. svn provides the ignores
> patterns in the "svn:ignore" property.

I think we may have ignore patterns in an .git/info/exclude file as
well, I am not sure but this may be simpler to get to apply to all
revisions of the repository, so it may fix the history issue.

> The question is: Can those patterns be extracted by the conversion script or
> shall manually create .gitignores in current svn (patch attached). The third
> option is to add them after the conversion.
> Adding (and modifying) the .gitignores during the conversion has the advantage
> of having .gitignores throughout the whole history instead of only "now".

Agree it may be nice, but not sure haw important it is for status to
work well in the history. Without this for a diff between current
checked out commit and other-commit back in history you have to specify

git diff HEAD <other-commit>

rather than

git diff <other-commit>

to ignore any working directory noise you may have. So it is not that
big of a deal.

> Any comments?

I would have expected patterns for generated files in status folder.

Should we add boost folder?

--
Bjørn