Subject: Re: [boost] Review wizards response and Boost reviews
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-11 05:25:22

On 10/10/2013 6:08 PM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2013 at 15:29, Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> If I did not get any answer from Ron previously, when I asked the review
>> wizards to update some information on the review schedule, why should I
>> think they would reply if I offered to review a particular library ? It
>> does sound to me as if they are just not responding to e-mails sent to them.
>
> They responded to me just fine, albeit that John's email address on
> the website is malformed.

I never heard back and the changes I requested on the review schedule
page have not been made.

> I think that shortlisting the libraries shows you've done due
> dilligence, especially as you need to really understand a library's
> domain to review manage it. For example I would call myself competent
> to review manage only these three libraries out of all those in the
> queue:
>
> * TypeIndex
> * Countertree
> * Process
>
> Moreover I would be absolutely useless to review manage Boost.QVM for
> example. Not my field of expertise. Couldn't tell you anything useful
> about what it ought to be or not.
>
> So, try again and demonstrate you've done your homework. I'm sure
> then you'll get a response.

I will wait until after the 1.55 release is officially out. Whether the
review wizards are temporarily not responding because they are busy or
are permanently not paying attention will no doubt eventually be
discovered. But I do worry that there are many libraries, beside my own,
on the review schedule, but effectively nothing is happening with them
and they review process seems to have ended for a long time now. I think
that is a bad idea, not because Boost "needs" more libraries but because
a large part of the impetus in being involved in Boost is for those,
like myself, whose creative joy is implementing some useful library and
having that recognized by others.