Subject: Re: [boost] Review request: Require a SFINAE capable compiler
From: Stephen Kelly (steveire_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-13 14:26:56

On 10/13/2013 02:17 PM, John Maddock wrote:
>> The attached patch removes support for those versions of the compilers
>> which are not capable of SFINAE.
>>
>> This bumps the compiler requirement to remove support for Borland 5.x,
>> Metrowerks prior to 9.0, and SunPro prior to 5.7. Compilers based on EDG
>> 238 are also affected, though it is unknown what those are.
>>
>> Ok to commit?
>>

>> Please, wait for at least John give you permission.
>
> It's OK by me, though as others have already said, best to wait for
> the 1.55 release to go out first... just in case we need to test
> patches/bug reports in Trunk.

This is what I don't understand.

I don't see how my work makes this any harder. At *worst*, a bug fix
will have a part in the positive side of an ifdef for some feature (like
BOOST_NO_SFINAE), and a part in the negative side of it. I don't think
that's even a likely scenario. Also, that's assuming the one who writes
the patch patches both sides of the ifdef.

That is still trivial to cherry-plck into the trunk branch. Or do you
think it is not trivial? In that case, what makes it non-trivial?

I want to understand the problem that exists and is stalling me.

Thanks,

Steve.