Subject: Re: [boost] [Removing support for old compilers]
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-15 00:21:26

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On Monday 14 October 2013 21:38:20 Peter Dimov wrote:
>> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>>> My understanding is that the most immediate benefit is exactly for
>>> Boost library maintainers.
>>
>> I can assure you as a maintainer that I see no immediate benefit.
>> Perhaps my experience is atypical.
>
> Just looking at the amount of hoops Boost.MPL has to jump though
> makes me think that the idea of dropping some compilers is not so
> bad.

But that work is already done - it's a sunk cost! Taking out
the support for the old compilers will cost effort - and not
a trivial amount.

> And I'd sure be happier if there were less #ifs in Boost.Log,
> although it may just be deficiency of my coding kung fu.

No one is suggesting that new libraries include any of this stuff.
Since Boost Log is a recent edition, it shouldn't be effected
by this initiative.

Robert Ramey