Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-16 12:45:01

On 16 Oct 2013 at 17:03, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> On 16 October 2013 15:18, Beman Dawes wrote:
> > Like all merges, start by switching to the branch to be merged to -
> > "master" in this case. Then merge from the whole "develop" branch if 85994
> > is the only difference. Otherwise, you need to merge just the 85994
> > changeset. (I'm a TortoiseGit user, so am the wrong person to ask about how
> > to do that from the command line. But "git help merge" from the command
> > line may well tell you enough to figure it out.)
>
> I assume 85994 is an svn revision, so to git merge it you need to know
> the Git SHA1 commit ID for that commit. You can find that via "git
> log" and looking for the relevant commit message, but you can't just
> merge 85994 without some extra work.

git lets you create arbitrary refs to arbitrary SHAs, so there is
absolutely nothing stopping Boost2Git filling a directory of SHA refs
named after each SVN revision e.g. refs/svnrefs/12345 => abcdef...

In fact, that is exactly what subgit does: it stores each svn rev to
SHA as a svn prop, and each SHA to svn rev as a custom ref. This lets
subgit map each to the other transparently along with needed
metadata.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/