Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-16 14:22:57

On 16 October 2013 15:18, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Like all merges, start by switching to the branch to be merged to -
> "master" in this case. Then merge from the whole "develop" branch if 85994
> is the only difference. Otherwise, you need to merge just the 85994
> changeset. (I'm a TortoiseGit user, so am the wrong person to ask about how
> to do that from the command line. But "git help merge" from the command
> line may well tell you enough to figure it out.)

'git cherry-pick' is the command for merging an individual changeset.
These aren't tracked, although git can sometimes work out which
commits have been cherry picked (using 'git cherry'). 'git merge' is
for merging a branch which is tracked.

After conversion, we're probably going to have to spend a little while
working out what has been merged for some modules because of the poor
merge history (in subversion, not a fault in the conversion). Once
that's done merging should hopefully be easier to handle.

And FWIW I agree with Beman's plan.