Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-18 08:01:45

Stephen Kelly wrote:

> [...]
> * Phase 1 - move some files around so that the modularized repos form a
> mostly directed graph
> [...]

I apologise for this mostly tangential remark, but it appears that
you specifically mean a mostly *acyclic* (directed) graph. I would
expect that a dependency graph is always directed (even if some
dependencies are mutual) and that the aim of your project is to
remove cycles, so that using one node doesn't always imply that you
need all other nodes as well. However, this conflicts with my
intuition every time I read that you want to make the graph (more)
"directed".

To summarise, you would help me to feel more sure that I understand
what you are doing if you could confirm that by "directed" you
actually mean "acyclic". Or, if that is not the case, I think I need
a bit more explanation!

Please know that I totally agree with the aim to reduce dependencies
between Boost libs. Regard this post as a nitpick by an idiot who
works too often with graphs, if you want. :-)

-Julian