Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-21 19:00:23

On 20 Oct 2013 at 20:40, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> > git lets you create arbitrary refs to arbitrary SHAs, so there is
> > absolutely nothing stopping Boost2Git filling a directory of SHA refs
> > named after each SVN revision e.g. refs/svnrefs/12345 => abcdef...
>
> Neat, but I wonder if we really want to create eighty thousand refs for
> this purpose.

You don't need to include them into the default refs fetch spec i.e.
a standard clone won't contain them, but a fetch with the right fetch
spec will. In other words, they only consume disc space and bandwidth
for those who ask for them.

Even then, I'd assume such refs would end up in packed-refs anyway,
and so would be highly efficient.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/