Subject: Re: [boost] [winapi] Default target Windows version
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-22 11:36:48

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Sergey Cheban <s.cheban_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 22.10.2013 17:30, Andrey Semashev wrote:
>
>> Since there were no objections, I've changed the default to Vista. Please,
>> let
>> me know if there are problems with it.
>
> I think it's not a good idea to change the default before 08.04.2014 (WinXP
> Professional Extended Support End Date) or even 14.07.2015 (Windows Server
> 2003 R2 Extended Support End Date).
>
> According to the NetApplications (http://www.netmarketshare.com), WinXP is
> currently used by 31% of the desktop internet users.

XP is still quite widely used, but its popularity is declining and
many new applications don't target it anymore. Don't you think that
the ability to enable its support explicitly, if needed, is enough?

> Btw, how can I override this default value?

As it was described in the initial post: define
BOOST_USE_WINAPI_VERSION, _WIN32_WINNT or WINVER to the version you
need.