Subject: Re: [boost] [git help] Documenting common modular boost workflows
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-22 23:06:39

On 22 Oct 2013 at 19:45, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> I don't understand the source of mystery here. This is bog-standard Git
> usage:
>
> cd my/submodule/directory
> git checkout develop
> # make edits

Umm, shouldn't you create a new branch here for the change rather
than changing develop directly:

git checkout -b issue_8_fix develop
#make edits
git commit -a
git checkout develop
git merge issue_8_fix
git commit -a

> git commit
> git push origin develop
> [snip]
> git flow release start v<version_number>
> git flow release finish v<version_number>
>
> As you can see, that's a lot simpler. I strongly recommend using the
> gitflow tool because it will save lots of trouble and prevent mistakes.

I agree. Though I must admit I do it by hand personally, mainly
because TortoiseGit doesn't assist gitflow to my knowledge.

For those interested: point is with gitflow that git branches are
incredibly cheap. You branch for every self contained change, no
matter how small. Think a branch per fully compiling source tree, and
you're about right granularity. It's normal to generate hundreds of
new branches per month - don't worry, there is a git command to auto
purge all merged branches.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/