Subject: Re: [boost] [winapi] Default target Windows version
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-24 01:46:55

On 24/10/2013 18:19, Quoth Sergey Cheban:
> OTOH, some developers define _WIN32_WINNT==0x0602 because they want
> access to the vista-specific structures and avoid static linking to the
> vista-specific functions. BOOST_USE_WINAPI_VERSION would be useful for
> them.

Count me in that group. It requires a bit more discipline and testing
(and GetProcAddress) but it's useful to be able to write software that
works on one or the other based on runtime detection rather than
precompiled expectations.

The part where it will get annoying is for libraries with source, which
will be unaffected by the user's defines at the time they include Boost,
in turn potentially requiring that they compile Boost itself with
different options for different targets. (And Boost binaries are
already in the multi-GB bracket even for a simple debug+release setup.)