Subject: Re: [boost] [winapi] Default target Windows version
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-26 15:17:10

On 26 Oct 2013 at 2:14, Lars Viklund wrote:

> The following steps works for v110_xp and v120_xp.
>
> * Open your usual Visual Studio command prompt.
> * Set INCLUDE, PATH, LIB, CL, LINK.
> * Clean out your build tree completely.
> * Build+install/stage w/ toolset=msvc-11.0 or msvc-12.0.
> * Pray it/Boost didn't screw something up and end up as
> crashes/failure-to-launch on XP machines.

I am surprised that this works. Boost.Build appears to ignore the
command line environment you launch it within, and so always chooses
the default toolset for msvc-12.0, therefore producing binaries which
ought to fail to launch on XP.

BTW, if you statically link your VS2012 executable as a DLL, and then
use a loader shim on XP to load that DLL and call its entry point,
you generally get away with it working just fine. In the end the
VS2012 MSVCRT doesn't use that many Vista only kernel APIs yet.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/